I can’t believe this guy just turned 11 years old! In celebration of him and this joyous event, I thought I would share 11 things I absolute adore about him. (I could add more but I had to keep it to 11.)
- He is a go with the flow kind of kid, mellow and easy going.
- He loves to read and to be read to. Books on tape have been a big hit with him this year.
- He has a logical mind and excels at math.
- He loves the Lord, reads is scriptures and prayers on his own every night.
- He loves to figure out how things work and comes up with his own theories of how items are put together.
- He has a compassionate heart and thinks about others often and is quick to say he is sorry when he has done something wrong. He is kind and respectful to others, adults and friends alike.
- He is so very responsible when it comes to chores, homework, and getting his stuff done.
- He wants to be an engineer when he grows up (or maybe an architect) and get his doctorate degree. He talks often about going to college into his late twenties, planning out what schools he will attend and how old he will be when he graduates.
- He is so willing to help when I ask him to get something for me or do a quick job. He jumps up and gets it done. He amazes me often with his willing heart.
- He loves nature, he loves the rain, he loves wondering outside with our dog Lucy.
- He draws and builds and dreams of creating structures (army bases, buildings, ships, underground facilities) that work well and are crazy detailed.
I love, love, love this kid! I loved celebrating his birthday. He was able to play video games all day and I found him up before 4am in the morning doing just that! Crazy kid! We brought him breakfast and his first big gift, an iPod Touch. He had been planning and saving to get this on his 11th birthday, the age our kids need to be to have their own personal electronic devices, and so he saved part of his own money to put towards such a big gift. This is our off year for friend parties, so he invited a friend over for the day. We headed over to John’s Incredible Pizza, like a glorified Chucky Cheese, for dinner and games, rides and tickets and prizes, with grandparents joining us for the evening. We headed back home for ice-cream sundaes, 11 sparkler candles, a lovely happy birthday to you song, and a few small gifts. I hope this kids knows how very loved he is by so many and what an incredible person he is. Love you Jakob, can’t believe how quickly you are growing up!